Brick and flintwork can deteriorate in a number of ways, for example, by deformation, erosion, pollution or poor detailing, to name a few. The purpose of a condition survey is to record the condition of the brick or flintwork, to identify causes of failure, and to propose suitable repairs. We have undertaken condition surveys to a wide range of brick and flint buildings and structures. Our surveys can be tailor made to our client’s needs and will include the following:
- Historical background and significance of the brick or flintwork;
- Identification of the construction methods;
- Identification of material types and source;
- Identification of defects;
- A proposed philosophy of repair;
- A proposed method of repair;
- Full photographic recording;
- Preparing method statements;
- Preparing specifications;
- Preparing budget costings for repairs.
Many of our clients comment on the high quality and level of detail in our surveys; several have used them for tendering purposes.